Great Britain mounted a blockade on the Ionian Islands as part of the war against Napoleon, and they hoisted the British flag above the castle of Zakynthos. Cephalonia and Ithaca soon surrendered, and the British installed provisional governments. The treaty of Paris in 1815 recognised the United States of the Ionian Islands and decreed that it become a British protectorate.
De Bosset Bridge is the largest stone bridge on a sea water body and has been in existence since 1813, when the Swiss engineer Charles Philippe De Bosset was employed by the British Army.
As you pass the De Bosset bridge upon arrival in the island’s capital, a four faced symmetrical obelisk made up of carved rocks rises from the sea. This monument called “Kolona” existent since 1813, was the Kefalonian Parliament’s symbol of gratitude to Great Britain.
This beautiful theatre is one of the largest and oldest in Greece. It looks impressive in its neoclassical architecture and the big yard in front of it. The theatre was inaugurated in 1858, when Kefalonia and all the Ionian islands were under the British rule. In fact, the first performance to take place there was the famous opera "La Traviata" by Giuseppe Verdi.
In the early 19th century, when the island was a British protectorate, General Sir Charles James Napier, who had been appointed to the office of resident of Kefallonia, discovered much to his chagrin that in Argostoli, his new posting, there was no garden where his children could play! Wasting no time, he purchased a vineyard and with the assistance of local architects turned it into an elevated wooded park that has since become known as “Napier’s Garden”.
Cephalonia, along with the other islands, was transferred to Greece in 1864 as a gesture of goodwill when the British-backed Prince William of Denmark became King George the First of the Hellenes.