The Municipal Theatre “Kefalos” is located in the centre of Argostoli. Its neoclassical architecture is a typical example of the island’s architecture before the earthquakes of 1953. Today is used for theatrical performances, movies and other public events.
This beautiful theatre is one of the largest and oldest in Greece. It looks impressive in its neoclassical architecture and the big yard in front of it. The theatre was inaugurated in 1858, when Kefalonia and all the Ionian islands were under the British rule. In fact, the first performance to take place there was the famous opera “La Traviata” by Giuseppe Verdi.
Ever since, it became an important cultural centre for the presentation of operas and operettas in Greece, until it was bombed by the Germans in 1943, during the Second World War. The theatre was severely damaged at that time and even more during the earthquakes of 1953. Kefalos theatre was renovated in 1994.