Follow a long line of traces left by conquerors, cultures and civilizations that have tiled the cultural path of the island from Antiquity to the Middle Ages.
The Cyclopean Walls of ancient Krani, made of gigantic rocks that are believed to have been placed from mythical one-eyed creatures, the Cyclops, witness an ancient civilization existence from the 7th – 6th BC century.
The ruins of the Ancient Acropolis of Sami, evidence defensive architecture and extensive fortification of the city dating back to the Classical and Hellenistic era (5th- 2nd century BC) while the Mazarakata Mycenaean Cemetery and the golden findings in the carved chamber tombs indicate the existence of wealthy Mycenaean people.
The Tholos tomb at Tzanata, the largest beehive-shaped tomb in the Ionian, is considered to be a royal grave as golden jewelry, royal seals and precious stones were found. There have been claims that this was the burial place of Odysseus himself.
Late antiquity found the island occupied by the Roman Empire, as is clearly witnessed by the relics of the Roman Villa in Skala and the Roman cemetery in Fiscardo.
St George’s castle is firmly woven in to the history of the island, due to its strategic location. Probably existing from the Mycenaean years, it was occupied by the Turks on 11AD, to get conquered by Venetians and Spanish legions during the Venetian occupation in Middle Ages. It became capital of the island and remained so until 1757 when the capital transferred to Argostoli.
As the castle of Saint George could not defend the whole island during the Venetian occupation, the Venetians founded a new fortress in Assos peninsula one of the largest of its kind in Greece. Later, with the reunion of the Ionian Island with Greece in 1864, it served as a prison for political prisoners, in use until 1953.
The Corgialenios Library was established in 1924 in execution of last will and testament of the great benefactor of Kefalonia, Marinos Corgialenios, which stipulated the establishment of a Public Library in Argostoli.
De Bosset Bridge is the largest stone bridge on a sea water body and has been in existence since 1813, when the Swiss engineer Charles Philippe De Bosset was employed by the British Army.
It’s the relics of the past, which vividly narrate the local history.