Drogarati Cave, located close to Sami, was discovered 300 years ago, when a strong earthquake destroyed a part of it and thus, the entrance was created. The depth of the cave reaches 60 meters below the ground level, the temperature is 18 C and the humidity is 90%. Initially, the cave was developed and used by the community of Haliotata, under the supervision of the speleologist Mrs. Petrocheilos, and since 1963 it is open for the public.
The Drogarati Cave in Kefalonia was discovered 300 years ago and opened to the public in 1963. It was discovered when a strong earthquake caused a collapse that revealed the cave’s entrance. Drogarati is an impressive cave with remarkable formations of stalactites and stalagmites. Speleologists say that this cave is about 150 million years old and constitutes a rare geological phenomenon.The cave is about 60m deep and has a constant temperature of 18ΊC. The humidity of the cave reaches 90%. Source: www.greeka.com
Speleologists have confirmed that the cave has an extension, which is not approachable. That means that the cave is probably connected with other caves in the area. There are stalactites and stalagmites created from the rain, which comes through the rocky level of the cave, corroding it and depositing the elements of the earth on the edge of the stalactites. A stalactite grows one cm every 100 years. Unfortunately, many stalactites are broken, some of them because of the earthquakes, some others because of human lack of sense for the magnificent natural artwork.
The big hall of the cave (900m2), is called “Sala of Apotheosis” because of its perfect acoustics. It is therefore also used for concerts and other shows.
Located near to Karavomilos, Melissani Lake is the most spectacular cave lake on the island. The road signs are ambiguous and the lake is nearer to Karavomilos than you would first think, within a few hundred yards off the Sami to Agia Efimia main road. The entrance is not clearly marked.
Found on the island at the entrance to the inner cave in 1951 was an ancient lantern. In the 1963 excavations, Marinatos found a clay figurine depicting the god Pan, a disc showing Pan surrounded by dancing nymphs and a fragment showing the figure of a woman in relief who is believed to be the nymph Melissanthe (from which the lake name is derived) who fell in love with Pan. Sadly she drowned in the lake when he rejected her. Exactly what she was doing in a damp dark and flooded cave in the first place, folklore does not tell us, anyway all artifacts can now been seen in the archaeological museum in Argostoli.
Lake Melissani has an absolute invisible specialty, which sounds pretty strange. The lake water is brackish, a mixture of sea water and sweet water. The cave is about 500m from the sea, and the water level is a meter higher than sea level, and the brackish water rises from a 30m deep cave system on one side of the cave and flows silently to the other end of the cave, flowing through narrow crevices into the sea. Here the water from the Katavothres on the other side of the island reappears. This was discovered by dye tracing experiments in 1959.
The Zervati Cave in Sami. The Zervati Cave, located in the area of Karavomylos, measures 18 m deep and 75 m long. It features two small lakes whose banks support aquatic plants that are rarely encountered in Greece. It is not open to the public.
The chasm of Agia Eleousa in Karvomilos
A chasm with a vertical depth of 75 meters, an orifice of 20*12 meters and floor dimensions of 50*30 meters. Located 2.5 km south-west from the village Karavomilos, near the rural road of Karavomilos – pre-earthquake village of Livathinaton. The chasm in its lower part maintains brackish waters, in a depth of about four meters. The first exploration attempt of the chasm of Agia Eleousa, was made by the members of the Hellenic Speleological Society (H.S.S.) John and Anna Petrochelos and G. Montesanto, in 1951. The effort was unsuccessful, due to lack of technical means. The second attempt was made in June of 1959 by the aforementioned cavers and also the Greek speleologist A.Douna. Although the speleologists have equipped themselves with additional technical equipment, the attempt was again unsuccessful, because the earthquakes in 1953 caused the chasm bottom to slip additionally 30 meters. Finally, in June 1966, during the Greek- Czechoslovakian Speleological meeting, which was organized by the Hellenic Speleological Society, the chasm exploration was accomplished! The chasm is drilled in limestone, it was created by erosions and rockfalls, and has an urn-shape. The chasm’s orifice is perimetrically covered by trees and shrubs that make it invisible! The chasm of Agia Eleousa in Karavomylos is not suitable for tourist exploitation, but because of its impressive depth and flora, it is referred as a point of touristic value in the wider region. Today the mouth of the chasm is fenced, to avoid accidents.
The chasm-cave of Agioi Theodoroi
The cave is located in an area where there are several other caves (Chiridoni, Sotira, Agia Eleousa, etc.). Once it was a single huge cavern, which over the centuries and due to the geological changes that have taken place in the region (earthquakes, rockfalls) resulted in its current form…
The visitor, descending in Agioi Theodoroi, faces a magic view….
Lush vegetation, large trees, shrubs, various birds that have made their nests in the walls, make you feel that you are in the middle of a rainforest and compose an image that is completely different from the one exists outside the cave in the surrounding area…
In the end of the onshore section of the cave, after a very steep downhill scree, is one of the most beautiful parts of the cave … It is an amazing turquoise lake with brackish water, like in other caves in the area, where the water depth reaches 24 meters.
The chasm-cave “Aggalaki”
The chasm-cave “Aggalaki” is located in an area (Poulata) where there is a large system of caves that have a linear distance of few hundred meters.
It has been found that most of them form in their inside underground lakes with fresh or brackish water.
In the case of”Chiridoni” and “Sotiras”, it was found after cave-diving that they are connected through an 190m canal.
In 1963, geologists added a purple dye into the waters of the sinkholes of Argostoli, and after 14 days these substances were detected to flow into the region of Sami, namely in the sites Karavomilos, Fridi, Agia Efimia.
The waters that enter in the sinkholes in Argostoli, pass underneath the lagoon of “Koutavou” and end up in the other side of the island, cover a linear distance of 14km. The water at the exit points is brackish, because during their route they are combined with groundwater coming from Ainos. It is a truly remarkable natural geological phenomenon, unique in Greece.
The chasm-cave “Aggalaki” is situated at an altitude of 50 meters and is surrounded by olive trees. A study was conducted for the chasm-cave “Aggalaki” in order to be valorized and for this reason a low stone wall with railings has been built around its entrance.
However, the study was never implemented and thus the chasm-cave “Aggalaki “remained in its peace and tranquility, waiting the cavers to go down and admire its beautiful decor, lakes with the blue clear water and feel once more admiration and love for the beauties of Kefalonia.
The chasm-cave “Chiridoni” is about 2 km. from the village, 1 km. from “Aggelaki”, and very close to the road connecting Poulata with Karavomulos. It is part of the cave-complex in the wider region, which according to speleologists consisted a single huge cave in the distant past.
“Chiridoni” has a depth of about 40 meters, length 100 meters and a downhill entrance which leads to an impressive arcade with transparent brackish water and beautiful stalactites and stalagmites. Also, after a cave-diving found to be connected with the adjacent cave of “Sotiras” through an underground canal of 190m.
In this canal exist rare aquatic plants. It is estimated that a unique in the world species of insect also lives there, which has managed to adapt to life without light. This is the cave-grasshopper that has no wings and her eyes are atrophied, since it lives in a dark environment.