They are considered to be one of the most visited archaeological monuments in Kefalonia because they are made of gigantic rocks and were believed to have been built by one-eyed giants, who according to Greek mythology are called Cyclops.
It is the largest known beehive-shaped tomb in the Ionian Islands and is unique of its kind. The tomb itself is considered to be a royal grave and golden jewellery, royal seals and precious stones accompanied the tomb.
In 1956, the remains of a roman mansion were discovered during excavations. One of the most impressive mosaics can be found in the second floor and it represents an allegoric picture of Fthonos, presenting himself as a young woman suffering, when seeing other people’s happiness.
The Roman cemetery came to light by chance. Excavations revealed parts of a large graveyard, and the tombs show great variation in their architectural form and offerings were found inside them such as pottery and glass vases, jewellery, metal objects and coins.
The leader and warrior who never let difficulties get him down and always found the right solution to every puzzle thrown at him. Odysseus king of Ithaca, is one of the most famous characters in ancient Greek legends, not only for his triumph in the Trojan War but also because of his long journey to return back home.
The earliest human habitation in Sami goes back to the Early Helladic period (3rd millennium BC), according to the results of rescue excavations within the present day city. It was an independent and autonomous city, conducted its own foreign policy and minted bronze and silver currency, bearing its monogram and symbols relating to the religious beliefs and productive activities of its inhabitants; just like the city-states of Krani, Pali, and Pronnoi.
Odysseus turning his arrows on the Suitors and with the help of Athena and his son, Telemachus, he kills all the Suitors.
This is the largest cemetery of the Mycenaean period the ruins of the Mycenaean era, witness to the culture that flourished in this region. The cemetery, which was found intact, is of great importance. The cemetery was found in 1813 by Colonel De Bosset.
This Sarcophagus is part of the Roman cemetery in Fiscardo and it is decorated with embossed “Niki” sculptures, garlands and masks.
The villa has a “Π” shaped ground plan with rooms built around a courtyard. The building was abandoned in the Late Roman period and it was used as a burial place, judging by the tile-covered graves that were found during excavation.